Mississippi Contractor Continuing Education
We are approved to satisfy your CE requirements with the MS State Board of Contractors.
Complete your continuing education to renew your Mississippi contractor license today. All of our courses can be completed At Your Pace Online to help you meet the state's requirements to maintain your license. Once you finish your course, you'll receive an official certificate of completion to save for your records.
Mississippi 2 Hour Roofing & Repair
This course, Mississippi Roofing & Maintenance, has been approved by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors for 2 hours of continuing education credit.
The following topics are covered in this course:
- Sources of damage
- Intensive care
Mississippi 2 Hour Project Management
This course, Mississippi Project Management, has been approved by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors for 2 hours of continuing education credit.
The following are some topics covered in this course:
- Purpose of project management
- Project management concerns
- Useful systems for project management
Mississippi 2 Hour Digital Marketing
This 2 hour continuing education course, Mississippi Digital Marketing, has been approved by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors.
The course covers topics including the following:
- Importance of digital marketing
- Types of digital marketing
- Creating a business website
- Email marketing
Mississippi 2 Hour Brick & Block Masonry
Mississippi Brick & Block Masonry, a 2 hour continuing education course, has been approved by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors.
Topics covered in this course include the following:
- Laying brick and block
- Types of brick walls
- Cleaning brick walls
- Types of concrete walls
Mississippi 2 Hour Primer & Painting
This course has been approved by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors as providing 2 hours of continuing education credit to contractors in the state.
The following are examples of topics covered in this course:
- Tools and Materials
CE Requirements to Renew a MS Contractor License
If you have a residential contractor license through the Mississippi Board of Contractors (MSBOC), you’re probably aware that you have an annual to-do for them. Specifically, you need to renew your license yearly.
But because renewal requirements differ for residential and commercial contractors, you might not be totally clear on what you need to do to keep your license current. We’ve got you covered. Here are the exact requirements to renew your Mississippi residential contractor license, including the continuing education (CE) hours you need.
The CE your Mississippi contractor license requires
- As a residential contractor, you need to complete CE during each renewal cycle. In other words, you need to take continuing education every year.
- The CE requirement took effect for all licenses issued on or after July 1, 2015. If you got your license before that, you’re not subject to this to-do.
- Per the requirement, if you got licensed in July 2015 or at any point after that, all qualifying parties need CE. So if your license has more than one QP on it, make sure each individual gets their CE.
- Now, some good news: you only need two hours of CE during each year. And you can take your hours online and at your own convenience.
While the Board allows you some discretion as far as which CE courses you choose to take, the last thing you want is to complete hours and then find out that they won’t count toward your renewal. To avoid that headache, choose an education provider who has the MSBOC’s stamp of approval. As an example, you can see our approval letter below.
Requirements for renewal
Unfortunately, just knocking out your CE doesn’t automatically renew your Mississippi residential contractor license. You need to do a few more things to complete the renewal process:
- Submit your general liability insurance certificate of coverage and, if you have employees, your worker’s compensation certificate of coverage (make sure the name on the certificates matches the name on your license).
- Unless you’re a sole proprietor, you need to submit proof of good standing with the Secretary of State. You can print off this Certificate of Good Standing (CGS) from their website after you login.
- Submit your certificates of completion showing that all qualifying parties have completed the required CE.
- Pay the renewal fee. Currently, the fee to renew a residential license is $100, but that could change so be sure to check the Board’s current schedule of fees.
You have two options for sending in your renewal application and all of the required documentation/fees. You can print out, fill out, and mail in the renewal form, including copies of all the necessary certificates and your renewal fee. Or you can use the online renewal portal, which lets you submit documents and pay the fee digitally.
Whichever option you choose, stick with it. If you renew online, don’t mail in documents or payment — send everything in through the online portal. The same goes for the-mailed in renewal. If you renew online but then mail in some of your certificates, for example, your renewal application could be delayed or even denied.
Mississippi State Approval Letters
Thomas Kline, Chairman, Fulton | Hunter L. Fordice, Vicksburg | John Laws III, Madison | David Smith, Ridgeland | Greg Smith, Gulfport | Tony Carroll, Vice-Chairman, Armory | Chris Cooper, Gulfport | O.L. Sims, Tupelo | Dwayne Boyd, Raymond
January 15, 2016
At Your Pace Online
1383 2nd Avenue
Gold Hill, OR 97525
Re: MSBOC Continuing Education Instructor Application
Dear Mr. Tomlinson,
Congratulations! Mike Melvin's application to be listed as a continuing education instructor has been approved by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors.
The following courses have been approved by the Mississippi State Board of Contractors for continuing education.
1. Roof Maintenance & Repair - 2 Hours
2. Project Management - 2 Hours
3. A Primer on Painting - 2 Hours
4. Digital Marketing - 2 Hours
5. A Guide to Brick and Block Masonry - 2 Hours
Please visit our website at www.msboc.us for a complete list of continuing education providers, instructors, and courses.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please feel free to contact me at the telephone number and/or address listed below.
Stephanie Sills Lee