Massachusetts CSL Continuing Education
Classroom Requirement Reinstated Effective June 1!
On January 11, 2022, the Massachusetts Board of Building Regulations and Standards suspended the in-person education requirement for Construction Supervisor License (CSL) renewal applications received through June 1, 2022.
- This means CSL's are permitted to renew using all online CEU's for renewals received from March 10, 2020 to June 1, 2022.
- An individual cannot renew their CSL 60 days prior to the expiration date. If a CSL expires prior to July 31st (able to renew 60 days before their expiration date), the complete renewal packet must be received prior to June 1, 2022.
- If a license expires on or after August 1, 2022, six (6) in-person classroom CEUs are required.
Massachusetts 12 Hour CSL Unrestricted Complete Renewal Package
This package will fulfill all your continuing education requirements as a Construction Supervisor Unrestricted licensee! From this package, you will gain:
- 4 Hours of Code Review
- 4 Hours of Workplace Safety
- 2 Hours of Energy
- 1 Hour of Business Practices
- 1 Hour of Electives on Masonry
Massachusetts 10 Hour CSL Restricted License Complete Renewal Package
This 10 hour package provides each required hour of continuing education for renewing a Restricted Construction Supervisor License. In this package, we go over code review, workplace safety, energy code, and business practices. Each of these topics work together to give you all of the education you need for renewing your license, all at your own pace!
Massachusetts 6 Hour Construction Supervisor License CE
This 6 hour course is approved by the Massachusetts Board of Building Regulations and Standards, BBRS, and is designed for Construction Supervisor licensees to meet 6 hours of your renewal continuing education requirements.
This course includes:
- MA Building Code Review (2 hrs)
- Construction Safety (2 hrs)
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (1 hr)
- Masonry (1 hr)
Massachusetts 6 Hour Specialty CSL Renewal Course
This class offers six hours of instruction in the most recent building codes and practices required for Massachusetts Construction Supervisor Specialty License Renewals, with a special focus on Residential Building Codes. It fulfills two hours of required code review, one hour of required content on the Massachusetts Energy Code, and one hour of required content on best practices for construction businesses. The course also provides two hours of OSHA Safety Training, which comprises one hour of required content and one hour of elective content.
Massachusetts 2 Hour Building Code Review
This course provides the Massachusetts contractor with 2 hours of credit toward renewing their Construction Supervisor License. In the course, we focus on the state amendments to the 2015 International Building Code, as adopted in the 9th edition of the Massachusetts State Building Code, Base Volume. Once you're finished with this course, you'll be 2 credit hours closer to renewing your license, all at your own pace!
Massachusetts 2 Hour Lead Safe Practices
This class offers two hours of instruction in lead-safe renovation practices for Massachusetts Construction Supervisor Licensees. It fulfills the one hour of required training in this topic during the first renewal cycle and one hour of elective content or two hours of elective content if not in the first renewal cycle.
Continuing Education Requirements to Renew a MA Construction Supervisor License
As a licensed construction supervisor in the state of Massachusetts, you must complete either 10 or 12 hours of continuing education every two-years, depending on your classification (see below).
On January 11, 2022, the Massachusetts Board of Building Regulations and Standards voted to once again waive in-person classroom requirements. This in-person classroom suspension is set to expire on June 1, 2022. If a license expires on August 1st or later, six hours of in-person CE is required.
Hours required by license type
Fortunately for your busy schedule, the total number of CE credits needed during each renewal cycle are relatively low. Here are the current requirements:
- Unrestricted construction supervisors: 12 hours
- Construction supervisor restricted to one and two-family dwellings: 10 hours
- Speciality construction supervisor (e.g., licensed in masonry or insulation): 6 hours
Per Section R5.4.2, your continuing education credits need to include:
- 4 hours of code review for unrestricted and restricted CS licenses, 2 hours of code review for specialty CSLs
- 1 hour on workplace safety
- 1 hour on business practices and workers’ compensation
- 1 hour on energy (unless you have a demolition specialty license)
- If it’s your first renewal cycle, you also need one hour on lead safe practices.