KY Multiple Trade CE for Electrical, HVAC, and Plumbing

If you’ve put in the work to get licensed in multiple trades in Kentucky, you probably reap some significant benefits, from impressed customers to ample project opportunities. But then the time comes to renew your licenses — and multi-trade licensing can feel like a big headache.

Does having different licenses mean you need to take continuing education (CE) hours for each? That depends. The most direct way to get the answer is to read through Section 815 KAR 2:010 of the state code. But nobody wants to do that. So we dug into the administrative regulations for you and distilled what you need to know down into this guide.

Pulled straight from the state’s continuing education code, here’s the CE you need if you’re licensed in multiple trades like electrical, HVAC, or plumbing. 

Consolidating your Kentucky CE needs

Good news, multi-trade licensees. The state code says that if you hold two different licenses within one section of the department (in this case, the Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction), you only need to comply with the CE requirements for one license.

And because HVAC technicians, plumbers, and electricians all need six hours of CE per renewal cycle, you don’t need to worry about aligning with a certain hour requirement for one license versus another. Get six hours of CE and you’re good to go. 

There is one exception here. If you’re licensed as both an electrical contractor and a master electrician, electrician, or electrical inspector, you need to take CE for both licenses. In other words, you’re looking at 12 CE hours per renewal cycle. 

The topics your Kentucky multi-trade CE should cover

The best way to make sure your CE covers the requirements for your different trade licenses is to choose a course that hits topics relevant to all of your licenses. Fortunately, there’s some overlap between the topics the state requires for different trade license CE courses. Let’s give them a quick overview.

HVAC licensees need to take courses on one of the following:

  • Business
  • Job safety
  • HVAC codes
  • HVAC-focused subject matter

Plumbers need CE on one of the following:

  • Business
  • Job safety
  • The Kentucky State Plumbing Code
  • Plumbing-focused subject matter

Electrical licensees’ CE needs to hit one of the following:

  • Business
  • Job safety
  • Electrical codes
  • Electrical-focused subject matter


Are you seeing a pattern? All Kentucky trades licensees are allowed to take CE that focuses on fairly general topics like job safety and business. And that means you can take a CE course that focuses on those overlapping topics, allowing you to hit the required subject matter for your different license types with a single course. 

Specifically, you can take our Kentucky multi-trade CE course. It’s been specifically approved by the Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction to give people with multiple licenses the CE they need. We’ve designed this course to help tradesmen who are licensed in two or more of the following areas:

  • HVAC
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing

If you have multiple licenses, this course helps you hit all the necessary topics by covering:

  • Running an HVAC, electrical, or plumbing business in Kentucky 
  • The most current state building codes and how they work together to achieve key goals, like fire safety and reliability
  • Workplace safety training for HVAC, electrical, and plumbing professionals, guided by OSHA and KYOSH regulation

In short, if you have multiple licenses in HVAC, electrical, or plumbing work through the state of Kentucky, this course was built just for you. Take it, and you can get the CE you need for your different licenses in just six hours. 

Taking your multi-trade CE online

More good news: you can take the six hours you need from the comfort of your home or office because we offer this course online. And you can take it whenever you have time in your schedule. 

Many tradesmen who’ve taken our course tell us it’s easier and more convenient than in-person CE — by a long shot. In fact, one of our recent reviewers for the multi-trade course said, “Good information, easy to study and definitely better from home at my own pace than sitting in the hard chairs of a weekend course.”

Don’t take more CE hours than you need — but also don’t veer off into courses that won’t satisfy the state’s topic requirements for your license type. If you’re a licensed HVAC, electrical, or plumbing professional, our multi-license course allows you to knock out all of your CE requirements in just six hours. And you can take it online at your own pace.