Construction Industries Board Continuing Education Requirements by Industry

Written by Kacie Goff

When you work in specific skilled industries in the state of Oklahoma, you have to take some steps to keep yourself covered. Specifically, if you’re a roofing contractor, HVAC mechanic, plumber, or electrician, you need to work with the state’s Construction Industries Board (CIB) to get and maintain the appropriate license or registration. 

Getting your license or registration is a fairly involved process. Say, for example, that you worked your way up from apprentice to journeyman and now have your license (either as a journeyman or a contractor). That was a lot of work and you want to hang onto your license’s active status. And, fortunately, the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board (OK CIB) makes it fairly simple to do that. Essentially, all you need to do is complete the required amount of continuing education (CE) every few years, submit your renewal application on time, and, in some cases, meet a few other requirements like carrying the right amount of insurance and properly displaying your license number. 

Let’s get into the details so you can make sure you’re completing the right CE to maintain your license. 

Oklahoma roofing contractors continuing education requirements

As a roofing contractor, you have to renew your registration and commercial endorsements annually. But, good news, you don’t have to complete your CE each time you renew. 

When you passed your initial endorsement exam, a clock started ticking. From that date, you have three years to complete four hours of Oklahoma roofing contractors continuing education. Make sure you take them from a CIB-approved institution or they won’t count towards your renewal.  You can see a full list of approved classes here — and you’ll be happy to see that some of them are available online. That way, you can complete your four hours at home or at any other location that’s convenient for you at the time that’s best for your schedule. 

Submit your Renewal Application for Roofing Contractor Registration, along with the $75 renewal fee and any other relevant fees and information, annually. On top of that, make sure that you take your required CE courses every 36 months.

CE requirements for roofing contractors in Oklahoma: 4 hours every 3 years

The required Oklahoma HVAC continuing education classes

While roofing contractors have to renew their registration yearly, HVAC mechanics have it a little easier. They only have to renew every three years. The downside? They have to take more CE hours. 

Specifically, to keep your HVAC Oklahoma licensing in place, you need to take six hours of continuing education classes that have been approved by the Construction Industries Board every few years. The state has a list of approved courses. Scroll to page 7 to find classes you can take online at your convenience.  

If you’re a journeyman, take those hours and submit your renewal and you’re covered. But if you’re a contractor, there are a few other boxes you’ll need to tick. Here are the additional OK CIB requirements

Once you’ve finished your CE classes and met the other requirements, send in your Oklahoma Construction Industries Board License Renewal Application along with the appropriate fee ($200 for contractors, $75 for journeymen) every three years to keep your license.

CE requirements for HVAC mechanics in Oklahoma: 6 hours every 3 years

Oklahoma plumbing continuing education requirements

Keeping your Oklahoma plumbing license active is a very similar process. Again, the Construction Industries Board requires six hours of continuing education from an institution they’ve approved every 36 months. And some of those institutions offer the hours you need in a classroom setting, but you also have the option to take your hours online at a pace that works for you. (You can find the web-based approved courses starting at the bottom of page 5 on this CE course list from the OK CIB.) 

If you’re a journeyman, just finish those courses and send in your License Renewal Application (along with the $75 renewal fee) every three years and you’re covered. If you’re an active contractor, do those two things (along with the $200 renewal fee) and make sure you meet the other requirements. That way, you’ll have no trouble keeping your plumbing license active. 

CE requirements for plumbers in Oklahoma: 6 hours every 3 years

Oklahoma continuing education for electricians

To keep your Oklahoma electrical license, what do you need to do? The CIB of Oklahoma lays out similar requirements for electricians. Again, you have three years for your license renewal. Again, you’re required to take six hours of approved Oklahoma electrical continuing education courses within that time period. And, again, the renewal process varies slightly for journeymen and contractors.

Journeymen, all you need to do is take your CE courses and send your License Renewal Application in with the $75 fee before your license expiration date. If you’re an active contractor, you still need the six hours of approved CE classes and you still need to complete the same application. But your renewal fee is $200 instead of $75 and you also need to meet some additional requirements, like signing off on your apprentice’s hours, displaying your license number, and carrying the right dollar amount in bond and insurance coverage. 

CE requirements for electricians in Oklahoma: 6 hours every 3 years

Keeping your Oklahoma license or registration active with the Construction Industries Board

Fortunately, the OK CIB requirements to maintain an active roofing contractor registration or HVAC mechanic, plumbing, or electrician license aren’t too arduous. With six or fewer hours of continuing education from a CIB-approved CE provider every three years, you can maintain your license or registration’s active status. And the CIB lets you take your courses online so you can do them on your time and at your pace.  

You can take your courses at any time within the 36-month period — so there’s no need to wait until the last minute. Mark a day that works on your calendar and knock them out in advance so you don’t have to stress about completing your courses on a tight timeline. With a little advance planning, keeping your license active or your registration current is easy. 

Get started with the continuing education the Construction Industries Board requires for your industry today.