Oklahoma Roofing Contractor License Renewal Requirements

Written by Kacie Goff

As an Oklahoma roofing contractor, the renewal requirements are pretty straightforward. But if you’ve got a commercial endorsement added to your license, you might be wondering how that changes things for you.

With your commercial endorsement, you do need to take extra steps to keep everything active. Fortunately, it’s not too much added work. So you can renew both your Oklahoma roofing license and your commercial endorsement, follow this step-by-step guide.

Step one: meet the state’s ongoing requirements

As a roofing contractor, you’re continually subject to the Construction Industries Board’s (CIB’s) regulation as far as insurance and registration goes. 

You should already be registered with the Oklahoma Secretary of State, but keep your paperwork handy. To renew, you’ll need to send in at least one of the following:

  • Your Certificate of Record of Trade Name
  • Your Certificate of Record of Fictitious Name
  • Your Certificate of Good Standing

You’re also required to maintain specific insurance. Specifically, you need workers’ compensation and $1,000,000 of general liability insurance. 

Step two: send in your renewal paperwork each year

You need to renew your roofing contractor registration and your commercial endorsement on an annual basis. That means sending in the completed renewal form along with the necessary supporting documents:

  • Your certificate of general liability insurance
  • Proof of workers’ compensation coverage
  • Your certificate (from the list of above) from the Oklahoma Secretary of State
  • An affidavit verifying your lawful presence in the United States (it’s the last page of the application, but you need to get it notarized)
  • The $75 roofing registration renewal fee
  • The $100 commercial endorsement renewal fee 

Make your payment out to the Construction Industries Board

Gather everything into a packet and mail it in before your renewal deadline. Send it to:

Construction Industries Board

2401 NW 23rd, Suite 2F

Oklahoma City, OK 73107

Step three: complete continuing education every three years

While your registration and endorsement renewal needs to happen annually, you only need to worry about continuing education (CE) every three years. Even better news: you don’t need very much of it.

The CIB only requires four hours of CE every 36 months for roofing contractors with a commercial endorsement. If you passed your commercial endorsement exam less than three years ago, you don’t need to worry about CE yet. 

Every three years, sit down and knock out your four hours. When you do, make sure you choose an education provider that has approval from the CIB (you can see our approval letter at the bottom of this page). 

You don’t necessarily need to attend a class to get your four Oklahoma commercial roofing contractor CE hours. Instead, you can take them online with the trainings offered here. This lets you chip away at them whenever you have free time and gives you the flexibility to work on your hours from any place where you have an internet connection.

Once you finish your four hours, we report your completion to the CIB so they can update their records showing that you’re in compliance with this requirement.  

Quick recap: you always need to keep your insurance current. You need to renew your registration and commercial endorsement once a year. And you need four hours of CE every three years. Mark your calendar with the important dates so you don’t have any problems keeping your commercial roofing registration active.